I was reading through some Native American stories in preparation for my lesson in RS about,
"Adversity."
I came across a really interesting story. It took place many years ago with two Native Americans sitting by the campfire at night. It is an elderly grandfather and his grandson who are discussing life and its meaning. The grandfather looks over the fire into his grandson's eyes and states, "We all have a war going on inside us between the wolf and the eagle. Each one is a fierce and mighty warrior who is trying to defeat the other. The Wolf brings anger, revenge, hate, sadness, and despair which will eventually eat at your soul. The Eagle brings hope, joy, laughter, and love, which allows your soul to soar to new heights and to be aware of the beauty around you." The grandson was very silent and contemplative of the grandfather's statement, but finally broke the silence with a question, "Grandfather, which one will win this war?" The grandfather looked deep into the eyes of his grandson and stated, "The one we feed."
Basically it gave me the idea that we have more control than we realize in dealing with the stresses and changes in life we must face at one time or another....
I really liked this story and always find that whenever I prepare a lesson or a talk, that I only give away the tip of the iceberg and harbor the rest that I sponged away. The only problem is figuring out what part of the iceberg should I share??
No comments:
Post a Comment