7.03.2011

Grandparent's say the darnest things...

So, for our Friday Date Night we decided to go and donate blood... You know, saving lives "Like a Boss!"

Well, while we were in the waiting room filling out paperwork, I was finding myself getting distracted with this stringy old grandma and her loud disrespectful granddaughter cackling and talking about stealing clothes from neighbors as the eleven year old is stretching out the arm of the shirt with her foot. As I was checking off boxes declining that I don't have any crazy diseases, I thought I heard the Grandma warn her daughter to not touch something because you never know who touched something last, "A nigger could have touched that." I had to pause for a minute to really contemplate if I really heard what I heard... and after the Grandma repeated the same word, I was in shock. I mean, who says that these days?! Then I had to quickly remind myself that I am indeed in Indiana and there are still people around that use such politically incorrect terms. I have to say that I couldn't get out of that room fast enough with my blood boiling and my skin crawling. There's nothing worse to me than ignorant racist people. Apart of me wanted the actor from "A Green Mile" to show up as the phlebotomist to draw their blood... but my imagination and reality rarely ever meet.



But on a good note, Jon and I gave blood which felt great. I mean the digging around to find my vein didn't feel so great but knowing that I could save a life does. Plus, there's always a free t-shirt and snacks to look forward to. And, as a bonus we were entered into a raffle to win a car which doesn't hurt even though I very well know that I never win anything.

Well, here's to an awesome 4th of July... and here's to blowing up crap, because we are all secretly pyros. I just hope my neighbor doesn't harp on us for lighting up firecrackers, because roofs are so "flammable" and we can catch other houses on fire from 50 yards away... I guess I wasn't aware that we were living in a retirement community.

No comments:

Post a Comment