3.05.2012

Barking Will Get You Nowhere!

I received an email from Coach Hound asking some select Derby Ladies (myself included) to see if we would be able to drive down to Indy and play a closed bout against the amazing Naptown Ladies! I was in awe of their facility, even though the outside looks super "rapey" and the inside was chilly. I was bursting with excitement the whole drive down that I didn't even notice the three hours that passed by. We walked into the warehouse with excitement, signed the infamous "autograph" wall and geared up for our match.

Jon purchased wheels for me from Christmas and was a sweetheart by making sure that my new wheels were fitted just right. He set out a camping chair with the other derby gals' significant others and cheered on as we got things literally rolling.

I was in for a only a few jams and while in the penalty bench, my coach walks over with two of the refs to explain to me why I had to take all of my gear off and sit out for the rest of the game. My heart sank. I couldn't think of why they would be telling me this. I mean, I didn't kick anyone's first born child, I didn't karate chop throats, or call anyone names... but I did bark at a girl and supposedly "shake her violently from the hips." I ran the last jam through my head over and over again to try and reason as to why I would warrant this gear strip down session especially after serving my time in the penalty bench. *Sigh.

I was at least able to sit with my team and provide support for Candi a few others who took some pretty rough hits by the tough and merciless Naptown ladies. I have a lot of respect for them and took many notes so that I can remember what kind of skater I want to aspire to.

So lesson learned... A) Don't bark at another skater and B) Don't present yourself as one to violently shake an opposite skater as you're falling down because they will not like that whatsoever. C) Sitting out for the rest of a scrimmage makes Lil Dactyl super emo.

I will one day laugh at the thought that I drove all the way down to Indy to get kicked out for barking... especially since I would NEVER come across as such a violent type of person. Hey, maybe it's the first step for me to be more aggressive and assertive. Maybe next game I should try "meowing" like a cat? Would probably be much less ferocious. Lol. Either way, my team did their best and I'm proud of the experience we were blessed to be given. I love my team mates and I cannot wait for more experiences that come our way!

Plus, I was able to see one of my all time favorite ladies ever while down in Indy. My lovely Roxy!! We ended up having the best pizza in town and caught up as if time didn't even pass by. I love my dear friends and am blessed to have them in my life.




Good Game!

Dactyl Jamming

Helping Hannah block. She is a brick house!

Dactyl coming right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment