So... We came back from our 2nd Anniversary (free) Getaway... Needless to say, it was quite interesting!!
We hadn't been up in the Poconos since we both moved to PA and so, we decided that we must
go up in the mountains.
On Friday we left after we had ourselves some delisciously awesome Pho Thai Nam which was at 7:30 p.m.
Well...
They shut down the Turnpike near our exit up in the mountains... With No Detours!!... So I frantically called
mom, "Uh I need help!!" Luckily she's the MapQuesting Queen and got us out of our horrible situation (Oh yea, and it was raining cats and dogs at the time as well). After 3 and half hours of either sitting in traffic or mindless driving on pitch black windy roads, we finally saw the sign for, "Mountain Laurel Resort."
Upon entering the Reception area, I noticed that I had literally time warped into 1972's "Brady Bunch" Hotel meets the movie, "Vacancy." I was shocked. So after our sleepy Front Desk staff checked us in, we made our way to our room. But before you hit our corridor, you hit the "Hotel Tavern" where Dog the Bounty Hunter's lost twin was butchering David Bowie, Beatles, and John Denver songs. Never in my life will I think of "Space Oddity" the same. Anyways, we finally made it to room 618, where Jon busted out our midget room key that is literally the size of a suit case lock key and opened the door for us.
Yeah... 'Bout that...
We walked into another time warped room that has literally not been updated or touched since 1972... The only thing missing was the shag carpet. You couldn't even miss the doors that were morphed into the "Cultural Hall" dividers that you would see at church. Even the linens had their own blue-ish "tie dyed" effect to them that topped off the whole ensemble. I think the only thing that saved our room experience, was that it did come with a nearly free weekend, some free spa treatments that Jon and I took advantage of, super awesome hot tub, nice gym, alright indoor swimming pool, and of course... Archery.
Jon and I held a few Archery tournaments on Saturday in which we both seemed to mimic each other's shots which was all fun and games. I was even able to help a teen that was staying at the hotel and completely "B-essed" my way into showing him how to shoot... I haven't shot an arrow in at least a decade.
Sunday was our last day and seeing as our nearly free "resort" stay had it's price, we had to head to the "sister" resort's Welcome Center for a presentation on Time Shares. Jon and I grabbed some brunch at WaWa and dragged our feet into the Welcome Center at Split Rock Resort near Lake Harmony. The Split Rock Resort was complete night and day compared to the shack we stayed at. It was still older but much updated. It at least had an indoor water park, gigantic sports complex and hotel, lakeside shtuff, and etc. Our "guide"/salesman was quite pleasant and told us that he purchased his time share at 22 yrs and blah blah blah... pretty much said anything to relate to us so that he could make that "selling" connection. We literally ended our presentation and were led up the stairs in the welcome center to what I would consider the 7th circle of hell- aka The Sales Floor. There were at least 15-20 small round tables filled with couples and their "guides" who are frantically trying to grasp their way into their wallets and commissions. We listened to all of the crap and declined the offer. We were just there to see what the whole program was about or so we said. The Salesman wasn't so happy but we didn't care. He handed the initial reservation letter to Jon and pointed to the exit sign and said, "Just go out the exit and down the stairs to the t.v. and someone with process you out." Wasn't quite sure what that meant but it was an exit sign.
Oh we weren't leaving just yet.
A lady def came and asked us how the presentation went without introducing herself. She sat us down in her small office and asked us immediately why we didn't purchase the time share... we mentioned again that we were both in school and just came for informational reason. She asked us how much we were offered. She gave us a low-ball number. We declined. She asked how much we were willing to pay. We said none. This lady was not going down without a fight. I cut into Jon's shpeal and was firm in decline. She reluctantly had us sign our letter stating that we declined and aggressively told us to leave. Needless to say, she didn't mention that she was offering a lower price for the Mountain Laurel resort and didn't distenguish the two... I feel super bad for those that were scammed. Luckily we didn't sign anything or take any offers... even if we were interested in a time share.
We were home free!!
Before heading home, Jon and I headed to Long John Silver's since Jon had never been... After dealing with inoperable bathrooms and filling up our tummies with good ol' seafood, we headed back home to Dixie-Doodle. It's too bad when our house was much more luxurious than a hotel room. Poor Dixie cried and told us all about it!!
But we were super glad that we made it home safely without any "Psycho"-movie experiences or any further traffic issues.
This was sure an interesting get-away weekend that we won't forget but I think that we both realized that as long as we were spending time together.. I have always enjoyed our little excursions and odd experiences... So...
Here's a toast to more interesting and unforgettable memories!!
No comments:
Post a Comment