7.18.2010

Crazy Crazy Stuff



Well, this past few weeks has been chalk full of interviews and getting ready for Girl's Camp for me. I have 14 girls that are 14 yrs... Luckily there's one other girl that is an Adult Leader with me so that we're not alone when we're cooking enough food for 20 people with Dutch Ovens. Unfortunately for us, we only have one Youth Counselor for our group, (didn't quite prepare anything) so it was up to us to prepare a devotional each evening and a handout to go with. For the 3rd Level (14 yrs), our theme was the book, The Lorax (camp theme is Dr. Seuss). Since I only had about a week or so to prepare, I have put together all sorts of crazy stuff... Here's some pictures of what I've done (may or may not have accomplished these into the wee hours of the morning)!


*Found some sweet headband with Green Hair extensions-- Oh yes, we will be most Victorious and Spirited!


*Made some cute little journal handouts to go with some cute journals (keep scrolling for pics) we fabricated and Large Pencils.


* I had a whole bunch of daisy packets from my wedding and had a cute little card to go with that talked about having faith in yourself (faith like a little seed).


*One of the required scriptures the girls are supposed to read is, "Let Thy Virtue Garnish Thy Thoughts" and thought I'd take a different approach to the scripture (instead of humming your favorite hymn to detour bad thoughts), I had cute little skeletons that are outlined with pink. Skeletons equal harm... Think Bio-hazard.


*For camp I thought it would be WAY cute to have a crazy socks dance party the last night we are there (goes along with the Foot Book by Dr. Seuss) and purchased a whole bunch of Tube socks for the girls to decorate or autograph.


*We pre-decorated them with cute circles!


*Inside of Front Cover of Camp Journals for the girls


Journal Cover


*One of the evening devotionals is on the Holy Ghost and how can help when you're in need of comfort and peace. I had the scripture on little business cards and hole punched the top to tie to a piece of flannel (hence: comfort aka, Linus from Peanuts. lol).


During our Crazy Socks Dance Party, I thought we (leaders) should give out cute individualized certificates.


*Tube Socks!- Still have to decorate my own!


*Last minute I put together 16 little green Seuss hair clips for everyone!


*I was excited... Didn't want to take it off!


*Thank Goodness for Hobby Lobby!! They had Green Feathery trim with an adhesive backing that made my hair clip project super easy!


*I had a whole box of these little alligator clips (can't help it if you're a hairdresser) and used these to adhere the feather trip onto.


*One of the handouts to go with super cute flower rings we had for the girls


*Invite to the Crazy Socks Dance Party


*During our 3rd Level hike, we were going to go over the Legend of the Pinecone. I made these handouts and the back has the legend:

Take a minute and look around you.  Notice how beautiful our surroundings are; the majestic peaks, the streams, the wildflowers, the green new meadows, and the animal life.  There are so many beautiful creations of our Father in Heaven around us.  Note particularly the many pine trees around us.  See how tall and firm and beautiful they are.  Notice how straight they grow.  They represent to us great strength and determination.
Each new season the pine tree forms cones at the tops of its branches.  These cones fall to the ground and become lodged in the soft dirt.  The cones begin to send up their roots deep into the soil, which begins its growth.  As the pine tree grows it battles with the elements; several wind storms, rain, heavy snowfall, and hot sun.  Only the strong, determined and best rooted trees will survive and grow to maturity.  But, from each of these trials the trees grow stronger and receive new beauty. 
We should try to pattern our lives after the pine trees.  When we face new challenges in our lives, we should realize that if we will be strong and determined then we will become as beautiful as the pine trees are.
As you continue to grow, reach toward your Heavenly Father and put your trust in him.  As long as there are trees in tiny seeds there will be miracles on earth.


*I thought it would be cute to have a little sign to hang up at each platform tent and have the girls name their own tent... Note: I should have put Occupied as opposed to Vacant but some last minute changes will have to be made while at camp.


*I put together a little sign for our bulletin, it says:
A home environment
“stems” from individual acts.
You can’t “leaf” it to someone
Else to create a good environment.
You are the “root” of your
Home environment and can add
“sunshine” to your home.



*Campsite Sign-Oncelor: "Mister!" he said with a saw dusty sneeze, "I am the Lorax, I speak for the tree. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top of my lungs"- he was very upset as he huffed and puffed- "What's that THING you've made out of my Trufula Tree?"


Campsite Sign-Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. No it's not.-The Lorax


*Another random Campsite sign.

Needless to say, I have been keeping myself quite busy and unfortunately barely even had a chance to hang out with Jon. I'm hoping that as much as this week of camp is successful, that I can come back home and actually spend time with my sweetheart without gluing or cutting up stuff. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment