Today was the Making Strides for Breast Cancer Walk at Howard Park in South Bend. I was kind of excited about the walk this year since I wouldn't be alone since mom was well enough to come with me this year!
I didn't hold an event this year like I did before but instead helped raise dollars and awareness with my artwork as an online event. I created some "pink" illustrations through my Etsy Store in which the proceeds went towards Team Mimi through Making Strides! I was proud of what I had accomplished.
Side Note: I was overwhelmed and completely grateful for those that donated shirts, bracelets, words of love, free advertisement, and money to help Team Mimi this year. It meant a lot and I know that the money raised with help the quality of treatments for patients and etc. A BIG thanks to my friends and family that showed their support!
Side Note: I was overwhelmed and completely grateful for those that donated shirts, bracelets, words of love, free advertisement, and money to help Team Mimi this year. It meant a lot and I know that the money raised with help the quality of treatments for patients and etc. A BIG thanks to my friends and family that showed their support!
The walk was held in downtownish South Bend at Howard Park, which is right next to the river. We were worried that the rain would get us down but not to worry, it was a light drizzle and perfect conditions during the walk. Mom went followed us there and could only stay for 15 minutes since she unfortunately had to work for someone else. She at least got to check out the survivor tent and grab some fabulous goodies before heading out. After she left, it was just Jon and I. The dynamic duo. Even though it was just the two of us, we were far from being alone. There were tons of people at Howard Park and we could feel a lot of love and enthusiasm around us. So, after a drawn out opening ceremony, we walked out of the little balloon arch and made our way around downtown South Bend. It was a smooth trip (minus the near accidents with the stroller brigades) and even got to see some great people from our ward! Jon and I sort of chuckled to ourselves when this guy was walking ridiculously with his arms blocking the sidewalk, causing us to not be able to pass him. Amongst the humor and near accidents, we had lots of cheer leaders and boy scouts with water! :)
You know... I couldn't describe the overwhelming emotions that came up when Jon and I crossed the finish line... The first thought in my mind was how blessed I felt that my mother had a chance to celebrate her birthday this year, that she is still with me today! I never knew before she had breast cancer, how much she influenced me in my life and how delicate one's life can be. I am so proud of my mother and how strong she has been. I know I will always strive to be as strong and courageous as her. She is my hero and I am proud of her triumphs and victories. I love her to no end and she is truly my best friend. I don't know where I would be without her in my life! I feel completely honored that I walked today in honor of her today.
In Honor of My Pink Hero- Lorraine/Texas Tina/Mom on PhotoPeach

No comments:
Post a Comment