8.05.2010

Sh$# my family says...





Yesterday my mom and I decided to take an impromptu trip to Chicago… Basically to hit up IKEA for some Swedish love. Anyways, every and I mean every time I drive with my mom there is always something completely weird that I end of seeing off the side of the road: random cabbage off the side of the road, nerd riding a scooter on the highway without a jacket in the rain (black socks under sandals with khaki shorts type of nerd), crazy pink bunnies selling gold off the road, and the list continues on.

 Well, my brother Garrett took the train earlier that day to Chicago to visit a friend and we planned on picking him up after our little IKEA excursion. Right after we picked him up, we noticed that he was a little punchy and tired (as were my mom and I as well) and so it formulated for the best conversation and laughter session for our ride back home.

So, my brother proceeds to explain why his friend hasn’t had any girlfriends and I knifed in and said, “Because he has an undescended testicle… I’m sorry to hear about that since it’s not something you can just fix with surgery and he’s more prone to testicular cancer. Not to mention, would be hard to explain to a girlfriend, so why try?” (By the way, the best thing about my brother is that he can continue on a conversation without ever noticing any jokes about what he has said. My mom on the other hand caught what came out of my mouth and couldn’t keep in the laughter… Oh but the good times continue…

So we go through the drive thru of McDonald’s (since we were starving) and are asked to park to wait for our food to cook. After a good few minutes, I hear my mom say, “What’s taking so long” and my brother (without failure) answers back as if he was the Drive Thru person, “Will you be interested in purchasing liability insurance? We have a new person.” Mom and I died laughing for a few minutes. Then the silence settles in. My mom repeats again, “Where’s our food?” and my brother chimes in again as if he was a McDonald’s worker, “We gave it to a beggar. He looked like he lived a hard life.”

Oh but wait… There’s more!

After we obtained our “healthy” meal from McD’s we started heading home from Chicago. My brother was explaining to us about a friend that used Acid as a Gateway drug and the conversations they had together. He then tells us that his friend told him that he liked the Beach Boys and then Garrett responded, “I don’t know…Dude I remember you being into 9 inch Nails.”

Our night was spent giggling and laughing over punchy statements. There was a ward member that said that hanging out with my mom and I would be like a non-stop party and I would have to agree. I’m not supposed to have this much fun, right?

Well, I combined a few daily tasks while on this trip… I discreetly flipped everyone off by “pointing the way” to the checkout counter for my mom and pointing out observations with a certain finger. After a while I needed to stop since I was on a fast track to point out everything permanently with that hand. I also completed the “Spy for a day” task by making an observance of this “Pat” ( clink link for description of a "Pat": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_%28Saturday_Night_Live%29) at the gas station at 3 o’clock and by “discreetly” fulfilling the mission of taking pictures of the nerd on the scooter (and yes, we did capture it on digital film).

We made it to IKEA!

I found a Fox in the showroom!

Nothing like some serious shopping and a full backseat to bond a mother and daughter together!


Backwards glance at IKEA: Until we meet again!


The "Nerd" mentioned before.


No comments:

Post a Comment