8.30.2010

Balance Acted... What I learned vs. Texas Tina Wisdom



There are many times that I would approach my mom, whenever life would get overwhelming in efforts to find a remedy. One of the hardest lessons to learn in my life when I started working Full Time in the professional setting is to balance life and work together. It was so easy for me to feel weighed down and get burned out from running around. I started reflecting this morning on all of the valuable lessons I learned on my own as opposed to the fabulous advice my mom gave me.

What I learned from my fierce mama:
*Keep your eye on the goal but be wary of too many sacrifices and causalities long the way.
*You get more out of the situation if you DON’T play the Martyr.
Work Hard—Play harder.
*Don’t waste your time or anyone else’s/Live your day with meaning and goals.
*Use your logic as well as your initiative.
*Don’t keep apologizing-Learn from your mistakes and move on.
*Go beyond the call of duty. “It’s not my job” is the most destructive thing you can say to yourself and others. Prove yourself and your capabilities.
*Don’t be a doormat.
*Stay late if you see the benefit.
*Aim for perfection. Anything less, go back to the drawing board and start back from scratch.
*Learn from the people on top and always be kind to those on the bottom/you never know who you’ll run into on your way up or down.
*To-do lists for everything! Helps you keep track of your progress.
*Organize. Keep yourself put together.
*Use time wisely!

What I learned on my own:
*Accept menial tasks with grace from your superiors but ONLY if there is a clear indication of improvement in the future.
*Respect yourself as much as your superiors and you will see a difference.
*Sleeping under your desk doesn’t result in better work or a pay raise.
*Don’t blame the Fax machine or Copier unless you are HIV Positive that you are not responsible for the blame and smoke billowing from it.
*Find solutions rather than highlighting the negatives/problems.
*Value yourself, don’t be a doormat. (See Texas Tina’s list above)
*Are you really giving it your all?
*Be tough on yourself but at the same time, be fair. No one’s as harsh of a critic as you.
*Keep a journal of some sort… Journal for professional use not to write down your failed dates and relationships… Document your plans and deadlines as to prevent baby heart attacks and meltdowns.
*There’s never enough time… “Less bitching
and more pitching” (quote from a leader at hair school).
*Put your phone, on silent or out of your sight if you have a deadline… You can always call them back.
*Take a lunch break away from the office: Eating your hoagie at your desk is not only unattractive but it leaves bits of food in your keyboard. Not to mention, fresh air is linked with de-stressing.
*Wear high heels on Fridays- I don’t get is when people literally dress down on Fridays. I know I know… It’s the one day you can wear jeans but at the same time its terrible idea to “dress down.” Dress up and leave a fabulous impression that lasts until Monday.
*Ball breakers are not cute… Femme Fatale does not work for co-workers or employers so just don’t try it.
*Turn your phone off on the weekends… Actually spend time with your family. Spend quality time not quantity of time inhabiting the same household.
*Work hard and play harder (Texas Tina’s List)

I learned a lot on my own and from my mom’s wonderful and much appreciated words of wisdom. There’s a lot to keep in mind while balancing work and play. I am currently working from home but with that said, I make my schedules for the week to keep myself on track and allow for play time as well as prevent meltdowns.


No comments:

Post a Comment